Leverkusen, March 21, 2023 – Bayer is launching its new h2o method at the UN 2023 H2o Convention in New York. The corporation is making h2o an integral portion of its small business selections, investments and selection of suppliers. Bayer’s water strategy demonstrates its posture as a vital participant in the fields of health and agriculture and aims to have an effects that goes outside of the company’s have small business.
“The globe is dealing with a intense drinking water crisis affecting ecosystems, foods safety and human wellness,” explains Bayer CEO Werner Baumann. “As a leader in wellness and diet we have an intrinsic motivation to tackle the drinking water crisis and make a important contribution. With our worldwide footprint and solid provider engagements, Bayer will build benefit and motivate sector-huge action. Our ambition is to enjoy a major job in selling corporate water stewardship and rallying other firms to choose motion to safeguard the world’s drinking water assets.”
Bayer’s commitments go past the company’s personal operations and are reflecting its ambition to create affect. The functions will encompass the entire benefit chain, from Bayer’s own operations to the farmers Bayer serves. Critical factors of the h2o strategy are:
- Resilient agriculture: On ordinary, 70% of world freshwater withdrawals are in agriculture. Bayer commits to driving constructive change in drinking water efficiency in water scarce regional cropping systems, setting up with rice, which is liable for up to forty three% of the world’s irrigation drinking water withdrawals. The enterprise is committed to improving water use per kilogram of crop by 25% by 2030, by reworking rice-cropping units for smallholder buyers in the pertinent locations the place Bayer operates. In addition, Bayer’s existing dedication of lowering the environmental effects of its crop security portfolio by thirty% by 2030 also contributes to h2o high-quality.
- Business and expense: Bayer is developing a notion to integrate drinking water good quality and quantity into business selections and procedures that will be rolled out from 2024 onwards. The organization will create a methodology to area a benefit on h2o and include it into financial commitment processes. By now in 2021, h2o and wastewater matters represented approx. ten% of Bayer’s complete CapEx jobs.
- Suppliers and growers: Bayer evaluates the sustainability functionality of all important suppliers and of selected superior-sustainability-chance suppliers applying a sustainability chance classification that consists of h2o. As an essential step ahead, Bayer has introduced its new Provider Code of Carry out, with devoted goods to handle water and wastewater. At the same time the company will carry on to push improvements in drinking water-use performance with growers throughout seed creation.
- Web sites and facilities: Bayer is committed to supplying harmless drinking water, sanitation and hygiene (Wash) to all workers at its internet sites. Bayer will even more extend its engagement to chosen communities wherever Bayer operates. Bayer continues to limit emissions at its web-sites around the world, such as emissions into wastewater. Past that, Bayer has set up pretty rigorous voluntary discharge limits for active components into wastewater at all web sites where by they are generated. Bayer will make upon the already present drinking water administration systems to enhance the use of h2o at relevant web-sites in h2o-scarce places and prolong them to sites that are forecasted to be in water-scarce locations by 2030. Bayer will established context applicable h2o targets for our have operations by 2025 that are to be accomplished by 2030.
- Ambassador and partnerships: Addressing the water crisis will call for broad-based, joint motion from a myriad of stakeholders. Bayer is very well linked in the drinking water room by using its involvement in the Globe Meteorological Business for Drinking water and Local weather Leaders, its active participation in the Drinking water Resilience Coalition and also its partnership with activist Mina Guli as perfectly as with the Worldwide Drought Resilience Alliance (IDRA), an initiative launched for the duration of COP27 at the UNCCD Ministerial Conference. Bayer will make use of these strong partnerships to assemble and join the proper leaders and be certain correct personal sector engagement in the upcoming drinking water discussion.
“Until now, the subject matter of h2o has been ignored in the climate debate in spite of the numerous interlinkages, but with the UN 2023 Drinking water Meeting it is getting momentum. There are new chances to acquire the right sustainable actions, and we ought to seize these prospects now. This is why we make water an integral aspect of our enterprise and expenditure decisions across the total price chain. With these conclusions, we will contribute to local weather resilience and to extra sustainable h2o use,” states Cristina Alonso Alija, Head of Sustainability, Security, Overall health & Natural environment, and accountable for the h2o strategy at Bayer.
Bayer is a world wide business with core competencies in the existence science fields of health treatment and nourishment. Its goods and services are made to aid people today and the earth prosper by supporting attempts to master the main issues introduced by a increasing and getting older world wide populace. Bayer is committed to driving sustainable growth and creating a optimistic effects with its companies. At the identical time, the Group aims to increase its earning power and build price by innovation and growth. The Bayer brand stands for rely on, trustworthiness and excellent in the course of the environment. In fiscal 2022, the Group utilized around one hundred and one,000 individuals and had profits of fifty.7 billion euros. R&D fees just before specific merchandise amounted to 6.2 billion euros. For more details, go to www.bayer.com.
Observe us on twitter.com/bayer
This launch may perhaps have forward-on the lookout statements dependent on present-day assumptions and forecasts designed by Bayer management. Various recognized and unfamiliar risks, uncertainties and other variables could lead to material distinctions concerning the actual potential effects, financial condition, advancement or overall performance of the corporation and the estimates provided in this article. These elements include those people discussed in Bayer’s public experiences which are available on the Bayer internet site at www.bayer.com. The business assumes no liability in anyway to update these forward-searching statements or to conform them to foreseeable future functions or developments.